Monday, December 26, 2022

Northwest Garden Lady - Part One

This fabric art piece was inspired by a picture that I saw on a social media site.  I loved that the garden lady was obscured by her hat of flowers and holding a glass of wine.  As in previous art quilts, I traced the design and had it blown up to size for my working pattern.

It took a while to decide how I was going to make the dress.  Since I have done collaged pieces before, I thought that the technique might work.  I started with a base of batik that had leaves on it, and cut blobs of fabric out of several shades of green.  I had some leftover leaves made from organza that I tossed in, along with yarn, rick-rack, thread, antique trims, wool roving, and Angelina fibers.  Here is the pile of fabric and enhancements that I used.

I layered the blobs onto the background, which was lightly sprayed with temporary basting spray.  Where the blobs overlapped, I ran a glue stick under the edges.

 Next, I cut and placed the pieces of all the other stuff to give me a nice shading from the front of the dress towards the back.  All of that was covered with green tulle.  I picked out shades of green thread for the quilting, and after backing it with a stabilizer, I quilted the entire dress.  

After it was quilted, I placed the pattern on top, cut out 1/2" seam allowance and turned the edges under with a glue stick.  Here is the dress placed on top of the pattern.   I really like how it turned out!

Stay tuned for more progress on this piece.  

No comments:

Post a Comment