This is a continuation of a previous post about the making of Green Lady #3, the third in my series of green ladies with a garden based theme.
I made the background with a couple of fabrics that I had on hand. I intended to add a lot of stuff on top of these layers, but left that until later.
The dress and jacket were the next items that I made. I traced my pattern onto freezer paper. I auditioned fabric that I had received with an Asian theme to honor the model in the original picture. The only one that stuck was the gold used for the dress. My thinking was that since I had hidden her eyes, the model no longer looked Asian, and therefore, I was free to choose other fabrics from my stash.
The jacket was made from a gold-flecked green fabric. I topped it with wool roving, thread, snippets of fabric, Angelina fibers, dyed cheesecloth, and light green tulle. This was stitched down with a green metallic thread. After it was stitched, I laid the freezer paper pattern on top and sewed through the freezer paper on the stitching/outside line.
Then, using a glue pen, I glued under the edges that would be on the outside. The edges were pressed underneath a non-stick applique sheet so that the glue and the freezer paper wouldn't get stuck to the iron.