This is a continuation of two previous posts about the making of Garden Lady #5.
The arms, legs and face were made from a couple of flesh colored fabrics. After they were interfaced, they were fused to Steam-A-Seam II and put together on my Teflon covered board. I made the face and colored in the lips, then made the mistake of using water to activate the ink. Needless to say, the red lips bled into the face and I had to toss that piece in the garbage. This picture shows the 2nd face without any of the details, nor the red lips (yet).
I decided to use colored pencil after trying both the Inktense pencils with aloe gel and some Fabrico ink pens. The pencils were the only thing that didn't run. I think I was having this problem because the fabric was interfaced. In previous pieces, the skin wasn't interfaced and both of those other options worked just fine. Here are some of my trials on the first face and the final face. I love how youthful the face ended up looking.
I hope you like it so far. Stay tuned for a couple more blogs about the making of this art quilt.