Monday, January 1, 2024

Garden Lady #5 - Part Two

This is a continuation of a previous post about the making of garden lady #5.

I turned the edges underneath on the "garden" pieces and stitched them into place on top of the path and the two top background pieces.  I used a zig-zag 1.8 stitch width and 1.0 stitch length.  

I noticed that, since the background wasn't continuous, I was having a difficult time keeping the background flat and intact.  So, I added some stabilizer into the areas without fabric.  Here is what the background looked like after those steps:

I traced the pattern for the dress and hair and pinned them in place and here is what they looked like:

I could see that the back leg was going to cover up some pieces that were 3-dimentional, so I moved the location a little bit.  It'll take some of the dynamic nature out of the piece, but it's better than ending up with bumpy legs.

The next thing I worked on was the dress.  I decided to fuse some interfacing to the back of the purple material, and will do so with the arms, legs, face and hat.  Some of my other art quilts had see-through that I didn't like, so fixing that problem in advance made sense.  I used Pellon interfacing meant for lightweight clothes  (I don't know the specific number, because the paper insert covered 6 different types.)

I used a Dark violet Inktense pencil and water to paint the shadows on the dress  The freezer paper pattern was cut to reveal the areas to be inked.

And here is the dress with one arm pinned in place and the cuff and color pinned in place.

I hope you like it so far!

No comments:

Post a Comment