This quilt morphed all throughout the process.
My interest in making a quilt similar to ones made by Ursulu Kern was the inspiration for this quilt. She makes incredible art quilts and many of them get posted on Pinterest. Here is the one that I liked the best.
I sketched up the idea, then reduced the size I was willing to make. Here is the sketch.
The quilt was broken down into 6" blocks to make it easier to handle. I drew the general placement of the colors and angles on muslin blocks. Using basting spray, I sprayed the blocks and collaged the material on top, overlapping were it seemed reasonable. The 6" blocks were sewn together. Then I took thread and fabric snippets and placed those on top to enhance the design. I used gray tulle to cover the quilt top; sandwiched it with Thermore batting and a backing; and quilted it with several colors of thread. When I was done, that should have been the end of making this quilt. (I'm pretty sure that Ursula pieces her quilts, but I didn't want to try and do that!).
But it wasn't. I felt strongly that it needed a focal point. So, I looked through my collection of shadow selfies and found one with my husband, myself, and our dog. I traced the picture, had it blown up to size at Rose City Blueprint, and added two layers of black tulle underneath the drawing. I sewed two rows of black stitches around the edges ad trimmed the tulle.
I think it's really cool now. My husband named it "Sunshine and Shadows". It's 36" W x 43" L.
I hope you like it!
Amazing! This turned out great!ReplyDelete