Friday, December 31, 2021

The End of 2021

Although I have not stopped making quilts, I am going to taper off my blogs.  My first blog was posted in May, 2015.  That's 6-1/2 years of showing you my inspirations, hick-ups, winners and losers.  And musing about all sorts of things, mostly related to quilting.  However, this will be my last regular blog about quilting.  I may still post a few things here and there.  

Why?

I have spent a year writing a daily paragraph about nature, and I really like going on a walk, taking a few pictures, and thinking about how much nature inspires me.  This is more of a private, contemplative type of writing, and isn't something that I want to turn into a blog.  

A huge thank you to all of my readers and all of the wonderful comments you've made over the years.  

And I hope you keep quilting and loving it too!


Charity quilt #5 from Kaffe Fassett fabrics - Flying colors

This is the 5th quilt top that I made from the box of donated fabrics from Audrey Prothero.  She loves Kaffe Fassett fabrics and has so much that she asked me to see if I could make some charity quilt tops from them.  December is the month of the year that I dedicate to making charity quilts and quilt tops (also baking Christmas cookies!).  I had lots of time to sew with the snowy weather this year.

I found this quilt as a free pattern from Art Gallery Quilts and its called "Flying Colors".  I purchased 3 yards of navy blue grunge for the background and used the Kaffe Fassett material for all of the colored pieces.  It's entirely made from flying geese blocks and using the no-waste method that is also detailed in the free pattern.  The quilt pattern makes a quilt that is 60" x 60".  That is a tad too short for our charity group, so I added 3 @ 3" strips at the top, middle and bottom.  This quilt top measures 60" x 69".

I hope you like it!

Charity quilt #4 from Kaffe Fassett fabrics

This is the 4th charity quilt top that I made from the donated Kaffe Fassett fabrics.  It is very similar to the one that I previously posted, but with the center square slightly higher. 


I purchased all of the brown grunge fabric for this quilt top at Fiddlesticks Quilt Shop in Vancouver, WA. The striped shot cottons were mostly green and red, giving this quilt a holiday feel.

I hope you like it!

Thursday, December 30, 2021

Charity quilt #3 from Kaffe Fassett fabrics

This is the 3rd quilt top that I made for charity from the donated Kaffe Fassett fabrics. 

I bought all of the solid brown fabric and used a lot of the shot cottons that were in the box of donated fabrics.  One more quilt top is in the process and will be uploaded in a few days.

I hope it will make someone happy!

Oh, and this is the sketch that I made for this quilt:



Wednesday, December 29, 2021

Charity quilt #2 from Kaffe Fassett fabrics

This is the second quilt top that I made for our charity group from the donated Kaffe Fassett fabrics.

I made this with the scraps from "Diamonds in the Sky".  Some pieces from a couple of other fabrics were fussy cut, and then I added strips to the half square triangles to make them the same size.

It's 56" x 70".


 I hope you like it!

Monday, December 27, 2021

Charity quilt #1 with Kaffe Fassett fabrics

One of my small quilt group friends gave me two boxes of Kaffe Fassett fabrics to use for sewing charity quilts.  I added the off-white grunge for all of the sashing.  

This is the first quilt top from the box.  Its called "Diamonds in the Sky" and was designed by Melissa Lunden.  Finished size is 64" x 66".


I hope you like it!

Monday, December 20, 2021

New York Beauty Improv quilt, top is finished!

This is a continuation of many previous posts about the making of the New York Beauty improv quilt.

I tried out several different designs for the setting strips.  Here is what I decided.  This layout will end up with a quilt that will be 70" x 70".  Just the right size for me to be able to quilt on my sit-down longarm.


I pieced a few of the setting strips with alternating black and dark blue fabrics.  It seemed a little too dark, so I sewed the rest with some light blue pieces.   I brought in some more medium blue and red with circles set into the "center" of the New York Beauty blocks.  Here's the finished top.



I hope you like it!