This is a continuation of a post about the Vagabonds Challenge for 2020.
I had so many ideas in my head for this quilt, and it was very difficult to narrow them down to the quilt that I wanted to make. My intention was to try a different technique, or a combination of techniques, to give the look of a 3 layered quilt with cut outs. I don't know which layer will be which, so I decided that I would try to make up some sample pieces. Then figure out what I would do for the full size quilt.
I knew that I wanted to print the picture in several colors onto printer friendly fabric. Here's what those prints looked like.
I don't know if I will sew these together or cut them into pieces and piece them with other fabric.
Here's what I want in the three layers:
Circular cutouts with some sheerness and some thread embellishment.
A layer of the printed fabric.
Some kind of stuffing to add dimension to the circles.
A layer of painted fabric, also with circular cutouts.
I made one of the potential layers out of two layers of tulle, and many different colors of thread, yarn and ribbon. these were stitched down and then pressed slightly. I have no idea how I am going to use this, but it's one of my ideas and was kind of fun to just play around.
I can't wait to see how many nights I will lay awake while these ideas peculate in my head. Stay tuned!
This is a continuation of posts about the making of the graduation quilt for my granddaughter, Emily.
I quilted the white spaces with the design that I drafted up. Then I quilted the diagonal spaces with lines interspersed with the letter "E".
The diagonal spaces going the opposite direction were quilted with the 8" x 3" oval ruler from Quilter's Apothecary.
All I had to mark were the center lines. I love the quilting rulers from Quilters Apothecary because they have great holes to place your fingers in to hold the rulers in place, or they have wonderful stand up handles.
When that was all completed, the quilting in the white spaces looked too sparse. So, I decided to add some background quilting to pop the designs forward. Here are the before and after photos.
In the borders, I used the same oval ruler from Quilter's Apothecary to form the petals, and used their 1" inside circle ruler to make the circles. I'm pretty sure that it will need a little more quilting in the background and I haven't yet determined what will look the best. The other thing that I like about the quilting rulers from Quilters Apothecary are that there are etched lines that make it super easy to line up the rulers just where you want them. I added tape to the rulers so that I wouldn't lose my place.
I hope you still like where this quilt is heading. I sure do!
This is a continuation of the posts about the elongated hexagon quilt.
The pieces were sewn together in rows, then the rows were sewn together. And yes, there are a lot of Y seams in this quilt, or any hexagon quilt, for that matter. (I wrote a previous blog about how to sew together a hexagon quilt and there are great tutorials on the internet. ) And here is what it looked like after it was sewn together. It is 40" W x 56" H. I'm not totally sure that this is the direction that I like the best. I'll take it to my small quilt group for their input.
I plan to quilt it in straight rows. Not matchstick size, but close together; perhaps 1/4" apart. When I get the quilting done, I'll show it to you in another post.