I'm calling this quilt, "Psychedelic Spots" in reference to the 1972 calendar that was part of the pieces in the brown bag challenge for Vagabonds. It was really fun to use all of the weird things that I received in the bag, including the black zipper, some silver washers, rusted fabric, slippery satin, metallic thread, thread trimmings, trimming of a finished art quilt, silk ribbon, upholstery fabric, and cotton fabric. Before I got the bag of stuff, I was certain that I would start with a landscape photo and use all the pieces in a collaged landscape. That idea was snuffed right away! I instead opted for a collaged background that was non-representational with circles appliqued on top.
Several previous blogs were written to describe the process. And here is the finished quilt. It measures 36" W x 51" H, and was finished with fa acing.
I made another painted quilt of a bee on a flower. In an earlier post, I gave you some choices, and almost everyone picked the green bee on the sunflower. I took this picture in Walla Walla in September. The bee really was green, and I found out later that it is a native bee.
This quilt was made to be a raffle quilt to raise money for the Clark County Master Gardener foundation. It will be raffled off in September at a music/garden party. I hope it brings in a ton of money. The ladies coordinating the event asked that I make the bee more apparent. It was an interesting request, and I think that they asked because the bee had so much pollen on its legs that it was hard to tell where the bee stopped and the flower started. Here is how I painted it to reflect their request.
After it was painted, I used a lot of different colors of thread to both highlight the piece and quilt it.
After it was quilted, I added the wings, which were made with two layers of organza and variegated silver/black thread.
I hope you like it!
If you're interested in buying a raffle ticket, just let me know and I'll get the information to you, including the date of the drawing.