I made pouches for the battery packs by quilting some of the blue sky material then sewing it up into a little bag open at the top and with a little strap. I left extra so that I could stitch these bags onto something that would be on the back of the quilt; perhaps even the back itself.
Then I cut the backing into 2 pieces and hemmed each overlapping edge. I positioned these to overlap at the point where I wanted the electric wires to come out of the back and into the pouches. A small slit was made in the batting to get the wires through to the back as well.
Slow and steady with fingers crossed, while carefully looking at the silver hand stitches, I quilted the piece, making sure not to sew over the top of the wires. The battery packs got in the way a little bit, but no enough to make it impossible to quilt the piece. I'm glad I have a sit down quilting machine so that it enabled me to maneuver the battery packs.
|Staying away from the wires|
|Maneuvering the battery packs|
|Close up of quilting|