I wrote several previous blogs about the making of this quilt. It is the Vagabonds 2020 Challenge.
Since I was stuck at the house for the Stay at Home order for the State of Washington, I discovered that my patience and focus was compromised. I had the whole day and every day to complete projects instead of distinct time frames around all of my social activities. So, I actually got bored and flitted from one thing to another. You know, out in the yard, cleaning closets, writing in my journal, eating too many snacks, playing with the dog, calling my friends .... the typical behavior of a procrastinator. What? Me? No Way!
Anyway, it took me several weeks to get back to this challenge piece. I knew that I needed to make a smaller test piece to refine the technique I wanted to use. So, here it is.
I started by quilting a 12" x 12" background and making more of the yarn and tulle pieces.
Then I marked several places where I wanted to place these tulle "holes". I stitched around the marking 3 times then cut out the inside of the holes, leaving about 1/4".
I placed the tulle on top of the hole and stitched it from the backside, so that I could see the previous stitching. Then I cut the seam allowance to a scant 1/8".
I turned the piece back over and stitched the edges twice with a zig-zag stitch, set to 4.0 mm width and .60 mm length.
I had previously printed the photo onto fabric; this was backed with fusible web and cut out into shapes. I cut out both the large circles and sections of the smaller circles. These were stitched with zig zag stitching. And here is the test piece.
I really like how it turned out!
I'm not sure if I will make more this size and join them together, or if I will use this technique on the large quilt. More to think about.
I hope you get ideas that you can try out on a smaller scale too.