What I'd like to show you in this blog is how I audition materials on my design wall and how I stabilize the top so it can support the weight of the nest.
I'm showing you the nest materials that I picked to go with the scraps I received, the blue material I picked for the upper background, and how the background looks after adding some organza on the top to tone down the brightness of the blue fabric. Our brains are wired for curiosity. So I like to leave some details in my art quilts that you can only see if you get up close, like the sky in this quilt.
|Building the background|
|Material for the top background|
The bird was made as a separate piece, then sewn to the background before the nest was built. My granddaughters told me this had to match the bird I made for a previous nest quilt. So I dug through my materials and found the pattern. I painted the face with both colored pencils and inktense pencils, finishing it off with fabric medium.
Here is where I want to show you all the stuff I put on the back to support the artwork on the top. I laid down 2 layers of batting to stuff the bird and it's hat. And to support the nest, I added a mid-weight tear away stabilizer, which I trimmed after sewing. Seeing the innards is like looking at how a fancy bridal dress is made.
I should have taken a picture of the pile of scraps that I received, but you can see in the photos below that they were bright and tiny. I wanted to cover them up with a bit of shiny red tulle, but decided against that and instead went with a gray tulle. After quilting, the top was finished off with a facing. I hope you like it!
|Red tulle on top|
|Gray tulle on top|
|Holiday Cheer by Joanne Adams Roth|