At that time, I also cut out some red squares and black and white strips for a second quilt. Since then, however, I decided that I would modernize this design and make it totally improvisational.
So, I cut through some of the red squares and inserted the 1" strips. Then I added some borders and inserted strips in some of the rest of the pieces. I used 3 different grays for the background and just made up all the blocks.
I placed them on the design wall willy nilly and moved them around until they looked very random.
Sewing this together wasn't that easy, as I had really odd spaces to fill and partial seams to sew. But I liked the improv nature of making this top.
Here is a picture showing the progress of the piecing:
And here is the completed top.
|48" x 58" by Joanne Adams Roth|
I hope you can take a step into the unknown and put together a top intuitively.