I knew that the goat hair given to me by a friend was close to the "fluffiness" feeling I wanted to achieve. I found wool roving (from a vendor at our Clark County Quilters show) and felt that it would be another good source of fluffiness. When I shredded some cotton batting and added it to the mix, I felt that the texture was just right. "More is better" is my motto when I add components to the mixed media nests, so I piled on some string, shredded hand dyed fabric, and lichen. Yes, real lichen that I collected on a hike.
The nest was layered several times, sandwiched between layers of tulle, and then sewed down with silk thread.
|Layered texture nest|
My granddaughters helped me pick the background fabric, and agreed that a layer of organza blurred the background and made the hummingbird and its nest "pop". I hope you like it!