Here is the picture that I started with:
Here is the cropped photo that started the quilt.
After posterizing and turning the picture into black and white, I had a full sized print made. The process of posterizing helps to select fabric in shades. I used 6 shades for this art quilt. Oh, and thanks goes out to Lynn Czaban who taught me this technique.
The nest step was to trace the picture as the values.
I used a different colorway for each girl. I hope that they appear different from each other. One of the girls likes turquoise, and the other one likes pale green. I had to go shopping (of course!) for some of the right colors. I decided to make the glasses in gray tones after I tried doing it first in the colors of the girls. (That didn't work!).
After I added all of the fabric pieces, I tested different backgrounds and liked the ombre green. It was all fused down to the background. I used some picture matting to figure out where I liked the edges of the picture. Then I added some stitching and ink work, after zig zag stitching around all of the pieces.
I'll continue the the quilt with a second posting.
I hope you like it and that you have special memories that you can use in your quilts.
Pretty darn cool!!!ReplyDelete