Monday, May 11, 2020

Bee on flower painted art piece

I've finished another bee on a flower fabric art piece.  There is a huge pile of pictures that I've taken over the last several years of bees on flowers.  I winnowed down the list of candidates and this one made it the final 5.   Here is my original picture:


I traced the picture onto tracing paper.  Then, I used the Susan Brubaker-Knapp method of tracing the lines onto prepared for dying (PDF) fabric, painting it with fabric paints, highlighting it with thread and finally quilting the piece.  Here is the piece all painted and ready for thread highlighting.  You can see that I use a lot of different threads and colors for this step.



And here is the piece after thread highlighting and quilting.


All that was left to do was to make the wings.  I placed a layer of organza between two layers of dissolving product; in this case I used Solvay.


After the wings were stitched and the Solvay was dissolved, I let the wings dry and attached them to the art piece.



I hope you like it!

1 comment:

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.