The Mod Squad Group of Vancouver, WA issued a challenge for the group. Yellow, Black Background, 150" perimeter, only squares or rectangles. I think we were allowed to add one more color.
I definitely wanted to do something modern. Several shades of yellow were used to make it more dynamic. (And, that meant shopping for more yellow fabric!). I liked using just one solid black.
Here is my sketch:
Once I started sewing the pieces, I decided to add a few skinny strips of black around the colored centers, and skinny strips of yellow around the black centers. I also made the centers slightly different sizes and made some offset from the center. The blocks are all 5" finished, and there are 6 rows with 9 blocks long.
I quilted it with black thread, alternating between 1/4" lines and 1/2" lines. I also added circles here and there in the yellow sections to give it more personality. It's 30" W x 45" H. Here it is; its called 'BEE MODERN'
I hope you like it.