Monday, May 20, 2019

Brown bag challenge - Making the circle pieces

This is a continuation of previous posts about the Vagabonds brown bag challenge.  My design called for circles of varying sizes.  After looking at ideas on the internet, I landed on all kinds of techniques that I wanted to use.

Painting - after painting the ugly 1972 textile, I fused it to Steam a Seam Lite II and cut out the circles.  In this picture, the top and bottom circles were made with this technique.



Washers - I painted the silver washers to match the painted textile and hand appliqued them to their background fabric pieces.



Copper - I cut it into circles and hand appliqued them to their fabric backgrounds.



Heavy and odd fabric - I fused them to Steam a Seam Lite II and cut them into varying sizes of circles.  I also sewed them to a backing fabric and turned them right side out.  The lower right circle was made this way.



Leftover threads were combined with some of my scrap threads and Angelina fibers, then sandwiched between two layers of green tulle.



Handmade paper fabric was cut into circles and appliqued to background fabrics.



I beaded and embroidered many of the circles.  After I made all of the components, I appliqued them all to the background.   Here is the quilt after the circles were appliqued:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.