I sketched up a couple of design ideas based on the bag of goodies I received in the exchange. Originally, I was certain that I would take one of my landscape photos; shred whatever fabric I got; and make it all into a collaged landscape. However, I got a zipper, some washers, a bit of copper, and some really interesting fabrics. There went my first ideas of a landscape based on one of my photos.
I searched internet sources for ideas and narrowed them down on my sketch pad. The winner was the 35" w 50" L design on the bottom right, which is a fantasy landscape.
I placed some lines on my design board that looked like the drawing, and used it as the pattern that was transferred to freezer paper.
This is a series of pictures and a description of how I used the pattern to make the background. Batting was cut slightly larger than the outline and was pinned to the wall and then the freezer paper pattern was pinned on top of that. You can see all the layers with the outline ribbon, the batting, and the paper pattern below.
I cut out one wedge of the pattern at a time, sprayed the batting with basting spray and placed chunks of fabric directly on top, slightly overlapping the edges. Here are the progress pictures with the background fabrics going up on the design wall.
After all the pieces were placed, the top and batting were removed from the wall, a layer of light gray tulle was pinned on top, it was backed and quilted. That's all for the background.
I hope you like the progress pictures. Stay tuned for more on this challenge quilt.
Post a Comment