I was inspired to group them together into one quilt after I saw a grouping put together by Lynn Czaban of the portrait quilts she made of the Vagabonds. She used zippers and tabs to sew hers together. Here's a photo of that quilt:
Although the zippers were an unexpected and fun way to sew some of them together, I'm just not as talented as Lynn is, so I decided on adding tabs only. Here is my sketch of the idea:
I used black fabric (with a stabilizer on the back) and sewed with decorative stitches and couched yarn and trimmings on top.
Here is what that looked like before I cut it into tabs.
After I cut the strips into the tabs, I placed them on plain black fabric and satin stitched (zig zagged) around all the edges. I used a machine setting of 3.4 mm width and .4 length.
To keep the corners from fraying, I added a dot of fray check, let it dry, then cut out the tabs.
I placed the tabs between the little quilts and stitched right through the binding and the tabs. I like the effect that this has given the grouping.
I hope you like it and will try grouping smaller pieces into a larger one for exhibit.
OH, and P.S. It costs $10 to enter a quilt into our show. Sewing these 9 quilts together is going to save me $80!
Post a Comment