I have written 4 previous blogs about the Vagabonds 2020 challenge piece.
My quilting friends gave me lots of ideas on how to connect the 9 test pieces that I made. YouTube also had some videos on how to connect "quilt-as-you-go" blocks. We all immediately dropped the idea of adding binding in the quilt-as-you-go method, because it made this art piece turn into a traditional quilt.
Other ideas from the brainstorming:
- sew together the blocks without the binding and cut away the excess batting
- connect the pieces with painted washers
- quilt a background piece and mount them on top of the background
- add some lighting
- use shear fabric or mirrors behind the cut out pieces
- use more of the fabric that was made from the yarn and threads
- cut some of the pieces in half so that the layout could be different than a nine patch
- include organza
- face the pieces so that they are distinctly separate
I promised that I would do some work on my design wall and in my design book. Here is what that all looked like in the process.
I'm not sure what I'm going to do, but I am drawn to using 8 pieces and mounting them onto a background.
Stay tuned for what I decided to do! And happy quilting.